Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Grace Revoked...? NO!!!

So, here's the deal.  I was recently assigned to be a Teen Spiritual Director at a retreat I help out with.  Pretty cool right?

The problem is I keep doing things that make me wonder if I'm a good fit for it.  I keep making mistakes that no good Christian should make (right?).

Take last night.  I got into a huge fight with my younger brother which I felt terrible about afterwards.  I mentioned to my dad that I was in no position to do this postition I mentioned above.  I felt like one of the fakers that I would publicly condemn usually.  Dad said I was probably in a better position than I thought.

My brother and I made up for the fight and things are pretty much okay now, but I was still puzzled by what Dad said last night.  I asked him what he meant, and he said I wasn't a faker.  A faker is someone who sins, doesn't care, and still tries to act all holy.  He said that we're all in need of grace.  He mentioned Peter, who denied Jesus three times.  Yet after this, Jesus forgave Peter and he ended up becoming the first leader of the church!

This is a good lesson for all of us.  Nobody is perfect.  If we were, Jesus wouldn't have needed to die for us.  Our mistakes are the very reason he offers Himself to us.  He came to save sinners, not condemn them.

No matter what you've done, He's always willing to forgive you and He has great plans for you.

Following are several videos to further emphasize the point.











1 comment:

  1. Very wise, David (and Keith). If we were able to eliminate all of our sin effortlessly, we'd be in danger of becoming big-headed and arrogant, and perhaps even think we have no need of God. It's the humility of realizing that we are still sinners in need of mercy that makes able to serve fellow strugglers.

    Mrs. Wagner from Sacred Heart (in case you are wondering)

    ReplyDelete