Saturday, August 9, 2014

First World Problems


So, about a month ago, song parodist "Weird Al" Yankovic released his latest album, "Mandatory Fun," which it certainly was.

One of the songs on the album, "First World Problems," is a jab at how self-absorbed some people are and how angry we get over minor inconveniences.  It's a very funny song, and the video made it funnier.  But, I have to admit, I can't help but feel just a little sorry for the guy in the song.  I don't mean because of the things he says he's going through (okay, maybe I did once or twice.)  What's sad is how the guy in the song is this stinking rich dude, yet the minor things he has to deal with still set him off.

Now, I get that the song isn't serious and meant to be satire, but I still think it serves as a good sign of our times.  Compared to other countries, we have more crap than we know what to do with, yet we're still unhappy in spite of it.  THAT is our first world problem.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Only God can give you the happiness you're really looking for.  I look forward to the day when everyone sees that as a whole world blessing!

1 comment:

  1. So true. We keep thinking we'll be happy once we reach a certain point of comfort or wealth, but the fact is, we're happy for a few minutes until we think of the next thing that will make our life 'perfect.' Good blog post, David.

    ReplyDelete